subject change

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Jan 23 13:31:32 PST 2003

> The question then becomes how does the subject get broached, yet again,
> without falling into the quicksand of neo-Wilsonian do-goodism which US
> leftists may be stumbling towards despite themselves, given the success
> of the demos. The last thing we need right now is for the law of
> unintended consequences to stop biting Dubya and starting biting us
> instead and I for one, fear an escalation of righteousness
> rhetoric -sorry, I deleted the post with the statement of "white man's
> burden" but it hit the nail on the head- precisely when we need it
> least. Or am I way off-base on this?
>
> Ian

I think we're all off-base to one degree or another when it comes to Israel/Palestine. Too dense and depressing a topic, and I think that's what leads some to use terms like "genocide" to describe what seems to be an endless tragedy. It's akin to throwing up our hands and saying "Fuck analysis -- so-and-so are just Nazis!" and leaving it at that. Easier to define. Less strain.

Linking I/P to Iraq will not be easy, though there are plenty of links already, from the history of Israel's backing of Saddam (to keep Shia nationalism in check) to Saddam encouraging and paying suicide/homicide bombers in the territories.

That's why it's important, in my view, to ask, if not war with Saddam, then what? Because you can't advance any decent position on the Middle East without answering that question. It's easy and terribly smug to chant "US Out of the Middle East!," but what does that really mean? The US is deeply connected there (in mostly negative ways, true), and played a significant role in helping Saddam build his war machine and feeding his territorial ambition. A retreat to isolationism, or something similar, isn't gonna work, and may cause more bloodshed down the road.

I don't know the answer, comrades. It's a tough region to deal with, the only region I've studied where turning each page was like lifting marble, so heavy the history and the probable future.

DP