Is Gitlin on FBI payroll?

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 23 19:51:16 PST 2003

> "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>:
> I listened to it with an ear and a half and it didn't
> seem to be any big deal.

For you and I, and others on the left conversant on the ANSWER issue, the Fresh Air story wasn't a big deal. But for the thousands who don't really know what this anti-war stuff is all about, to have some old lefty windbag droning on about how the anti-war movement is being led by Stalinists IS a big deal.

Tonight after the interview, I had two of the people (rank and file union folks) who were part of our North Carolina contingent (35 buses from 13 cities!) call me and say, "what, we were at a Stalinist march? they're running this antiwar thing?" I had to patiently make all the points people have made here ... Answer/IAC did the logistical heavy lifting, but the movement is bigger than them, there was clearly no one "line" being pushed at the march, etc. etc.

Here we have a growing anti-war movement, which at all the marches I've been to HAS had a very sensible, clear message. The sheer breadth and depth of the movement is forcing the media to open up and provide better coverage. That Gitlin would seize on that to dedicate a radio show to warning people about bad commies running the show is just ridiculous. And unethical.

For the record, I'm in Max's camp, have been supporting United for Peace ever since they formed (I'm also a fan and friend of Bill Fletcher). Many of the UFP coalition members are the allies we are working with in the Southern anti-war movement.

But I'll be damned if I'll idly watch Gitlin try to revive his flagging career by whipping up hysteria about commie control of the anti-war movement. The objective result of this is to turn people away from the movement, at a time when we need everyone we can get. So he has a lot to answer for.

CK -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030123/e79bba87/attachment.htm>