subject change

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Jan 24 01:56:45 PST 2003

I think we're all off-base to one degree or another when it comes to Israel/Palestine. Too dense and depressing a topic, and I think that's what leads some to use terms like "genocide" to describe what seems to be an endless tragedy. It's akin to throwing up our hands and saying "Fuck analysis -- so-and-so are just Nazis!" and leaving it at that. Easier to define. Less strain. --- I think the word "genocide" gets bandied about way too often. I am sick of hearing the Russian Army's actions in Chechnya, which are plenty brutal, described as "genocide." What you have in Chechnya is untrained conscripts who are scared out of their minds and know full well that, if they are captured, they will be tortured to death and have their heads lopped off, with the predictable result that they shoot everything that moves. You ahould hear people who have come back from Chechnya: "My No. 1 priority was coming back to my wife and family. Men, women, children, sheep, it's all going down! They give five-year-olds remote-controlled bombs and say "Go talk to the nice Russian soldiers!' They kill right and left, and we are supposed to be nice. I made it back. If I had not tossed a grenade into houses before I went in, I would not be talking to you now. Mu head would be on a pole."

That conflict is breeding a generation of seriously scarred Russian young men.