the Abe Rosenthal award winner!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 24 07:42:21 PST 2003

In honor of former NYT columnist Abe "I'm Writing As Bad As I Can" Rosenthal (as Spy mag called him), the worst paragraph in the newspaper of record all week must be this from Nicholas Kristof's column today <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/24/opinion/24KRIS.html> on the biggest affirmative action baby of them all, W:

>Instead of mocking Mr. Bush for hypocrisy, though, we should focus
>on something else: The affirmative action succeeded. If he was in
>part a diversity candidate, so what? He flourished at Andover, and
>classmates remember that he enlivened the academy by teaching them
>about drawls, scorpions and exuberance. Eventually he returned to
>his roots, cross-fertilizing both New England and west Texas.

"Drawls, scorpions and exuberance." Gag.

Doug