Raimondo on Ritter

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Fri Jan 24 10:05:08 PST 2003

Justin wrote:

> Read the statute. Use of the internet _within_ a state will do if

> the attempted act would have been a criminal offense.

...if the attempted act would have been a criminal offense...

Intending (and we'll leave aside the history of what constitutes an "attempt" in the 386 years since _Ryman v. Bickley_ was decided in Star Chamber) to have sex with a cop pretending to be 16 is a criminal act in New York State? And if the internet is involved then there's a fifteen year jail sentence federally? What a police state nightmare the US has become!

And the issue is the Murdoch use of this police state entrapment to silence an opponent on a critical political question.

john mage