Hollow ANSWER?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jan 24 12:02:08 PST 2003

I get the math now-- although Michael P said 200 people were working to support 100 organizers with a 20% tithe rate. So my numbers hold where roughly $12,000 per organizer would be available. Add in some wealthy cadre and general contributions to cover publications and overhead, and Michael's info doesn't sound impossible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 2:42 PM Subject: Re: Hollow ANSWER?

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Doug, your math looks odd.
>
>$15 times 2000 hours per year= $30,000 per working cadre
>200 working cadre * $30,000 = $6 million per year of total cadre income

$15/hr * 2000 hours * 300 workers = $9 million $9m * .10 = $900,000

nothing fuzzy about that math

>Assume that 20% is tithed

I just used the literal definition of "tithe":

>tithe
>
>1.
>a. A tenth part of one's annual income contributed voluntarily
>or due as a tax, especially for the support of the clergy or church.
>b. The institution or obligation of paying tithes.
>
>2. A tax or assessment of one tenth.

How many people can they hire on $900,000/yr? Or let's round up and say $1m. They've got to print their paper, pay rent on offices (their place on 14th St isn't small - 5000 sq ft at low-end rates would be about $100,000/yr in rent alone, not including electricity and phones). Even if they paid their organizers $20,000/yr, 100 would cost $2m. They'd be lucky if they could afford two dozen.

Doug