Badly drafted law? Was Re: Raimondo on Ritter

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 12:20:32 PST 2003

> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
> >Ritter was lucky. He could have been prosecuted in
> >state court on federal charges. But my point was
> just
> >that the charged conduct is in fact illegal,
> contrary
> >to what Doug said
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to offer a legal opinion. It
> may be illegal, for
> all I know. But it's seriously ridiculous if it is.
> By age 16 it's
> none of the state's damned business.

I can see it both ways. Some states have a law that if the girl is under 18 and the guy is not more than a certain number of years older, 5-7, something like that, then it's not illegal, or is less illegal. I don't want to see people our age preying on MY DAUGHTER.

> And how come these ruses don't count as entrapment?
>
> Doug

Entrapment is a virtually impossible defense to make out. You have to show that you weren't inclined to commit the defense, but the cops basically made it irresistable for you to do it. You see why this has to be: otherwise all undercover drug buys and the like would be entrapment.

jks