Prejudicial Language Re: Hollow ANSWER?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 24 13:26:18 PST 2003

>>Don't all well-known liberal NGOs -- the kind in charge of United for
>>Peace, Win Without War, etc. -- have larger budgets and more paid
>>organizers than WWP, RCP, or any other "sect"?
>--
>Yoshie
>
>Why the scare quotes around sect?
>
>Peter

It's best to avoid prejudicial language.

***** Prejudicial Language

Definition: Loaded or emotive terms are used to attach value or moral goodness to believing the proposition.

Examples: i.Right thinking Canadians will agree with me that we should have another free vote on capital punishment. ii.A reasonable person would agree that our income statement is too low. iii.Senator Turner claims that the new tax rate will reduce the deficit. (Here, the use of "claims" implies that what Turner says is false.) iv.The proposal is likely to be resisted by the bureaucrats on Parliament Hill. (Compare this to: The proposal is likely to be rejected by officials on Parliament Hill.)

<http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/pl.htm> ***** -- Yoshie