Badly drafted law? Was Re: Raimondo on Ritter

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 24 13:36:20 PST 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I can see it both ways. Some states have a law that if
> the girl is under 18 and the guy is not more than a
> certain number of years older, 5-7, something like
> that, then it's not illegal, or is less illegal. I
> don't want to see people our age preying on MY
> DAUGHTER.

I made no attempt really to control my three children (2 daughters, one son) after they reached about 15, and they all turned out fine. When I e-mailed my older daughter a few years ago suggesting that she and her husband move into a hotel and hire a mover to get them from old house to newly built one, I prefaced it with something like, "This is the first word of advice I've given you since you were 14 or so." (She was born in 1955.)

> Entrapment is a virtually impossible defense to make
> out. You have to show that you weren't inclined to
> commit the defense, but the cops basically made it
> irresistable for you to do it. You see why this has to
> be: otherwise all undercover drug buys and the like
> would be entrapment.

Let me guess. Almost all uses of stings against individuals (not counting Illinois politicians, who don't count for much on the whole) are for victimless crimes.

Carrol