Badly drafted law? Was Re: Raimondo on Ritter

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 24 15:06:03 PST 2003

Nathan Newman wrote, responding to egregious overposter jks:

>-That would bar all stings. I don't think that is a
>-good idea. Btw, another sting thing you hear about is
>-cops posing as killers for hire to catch people who
>-want to hace hits done. There, of course, hit men
>-don't advertise. jks
>
>As I said, it's not completely clearcut, but there are lines of aggressive
>solitication in a sting versus just creating opportunities. Take the online
>issue-- if an undercover cop solicits men in a site dedicated to discussions
>of fantasies about having sex with teens, that's a bit different from
>soliciting people randomly. An undercover cop posting as a prostitute in a
>known area of prostitution is different from a cop propositioning a man,
>then after he's responded and they are walking to his house, telling him
>he'll have to pay for the pleasure.
>
>But stings in general are problematic, since the weakness of human nature
>means many people have a price if pressed. Most people avoid temptation,
>since it's far harder to resist it.

Avoiding the near occasions of sin, as the nuns used to say - the key to virtuous behavior! But really, having cops pose as hitmen is awfully provocative. Someone who might never take the initiative to hire a hitman might be tempted if one walked into his or her life. How do they know who to target?

Doug