subject change

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Jan 25 16:52:23 PST 2003

At 11:34 AM -0500 24/1/03, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>Also, I love the tendency of those on this list who presume to tutor others
>>on how or what to write. What words of wisdom have they for the downtrodden
>>who lack computer access? The wretched await . . .
>
>Boys, boys, enough!

Aw, I was just warming up too. ;-)

Just to summarise though, Dennis asserts that merely imprisoning a whole population in ghettos and systematically destroying their houses and the whole economic infrastructure of the imprisoned population is not genocide. Dennis asserts instead that the absence of gas chambers indicates the absence of genocide.

I respond that it is not the technology of genocide, but the genocidal objective, combined with the systematic implementation of policies designed to attain the objective, which determines genocide. I might add that merely because gas chambers might be used to execute criminals in the United States, it does not follow that the US is genocidal. Barbaric perhaps, but not genocidal.

Gas chambers are not the issue. Genocide is the systematic elimination of an entire people, by whatever means are employed. The technology employed by the Israeli state are tried and tested. I come from Tasmania, site of one of the most "successful" campaigns of genocide in history and I can testify that the methods "successfully" used here were exactly the methods now being employed in Israel.

It is genocide and it is deliberately so. The objective of an ethnically pure "Jewish state" inevitably leads to genocide, just as the objective of an ethnically pure "Aryan" empire led the Nazis inexorably to genocide and the objective of creating a European nation in Australia led inevitably to a policy of genocide to native Australians.

It is no use mincing words about this, it is genocide.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas