Massive DDOS Attack, pt. 2

Sat Jan 25 10:00:36 PST 2003

>From SFGate:

Traffic on the Internet slowed dramatically for hours early Saturday, the effects of a fast-spreading, virus-like infection that overwhelmed the world's digital pipelines and broadly interfered with Web browsing and delivery of e-mail.

Sites monitoring the health of the Internet reported significant slowdowns globally, although recovery efforts appeared to be succeeding.

See story at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/01/25/nat ional0554EST0482.DTL

Steven

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 9:53 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: Fwd: Massive DDOS Attack, pt. 2

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:40:27 -0500 (EST) From: alexis at panix.com (MOTD [Panix]) Subject: Massive DDOS Attack, pt. 2

(The following article has been automatically mirrored from MOTD)

(Posted by Alexis Rosen) Sat, Jan 25 2003 -- 12:35 PM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ --- We think we've managed to deal with most of the problems caused by this attack, and we hope that we'll be impervious to further attack. We now know what caused the attack- it wasn't a directed attack, but rather the result of an extremely virulent worm making use of vulnerabilities in MicroSoft's SQL server.

The big problem with the worm was that it tickled at least two critical bugs in Cisco's router software ("IOS"). This made diagnosing and fixing the problem extremely difficult.

Everything is pretty much back to normal, with the exception of a very few high-risk services (we're being careful with customer co-located machines that run SQL server). There may be a few short glitches over the next day as we replace some band-aids with real fixes. We'll announce anything that we think will last more than a few seconds.

--- Public Access Internet & UNIX [panix.com]