more teen-adult sex

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sat Jan 25 21:11:28 PST 2003

Clearing an inbox backlog this afternoon, and this was one I deleted and then, on second thought. I don't what thread this belonged to, and I've probably deleted it all, but I'm working on age-of-consent at the moment so I'm interested.

I've just done a websearch for stuff on the case, but... could someone tell me the subject-line which described the thread to which this is an addition so I can find it in the archive?

Thanks Catherine

Quoting Ian Murray <seamus2001 at attbi.com>:

> Jan. 24, 2003, 11:48AM
>
> Pregnant teacher pleads guilty to sex with 13-year-old boy
> By RAD SALLEE
> Houston Chronicle
>
> A visibly pregnant former teacher, accused of a six-month sexual
> relationship with a 13-year-old boy at the Pasadena church school where
> she worked, pleaded guilty today.
>
> Lisa Zuniga, 27, could be sentenced to life in prison or as little as
> five years probation for aggravated sexual assault of a child.
> Prosecutor Denise Oncken said the state is not recommending any
> particular punishment.
>
> Visiting State District Judge Charles Hearn told Zuniga to cooperate
> with probation officers in a background investigation and return to
> court for sentencing March 21.
>
> Her baby is due in February, "perhaps Valentine's Day," said her
> attorney, Arthur Parras.
>
> Free on $30,000 bond, Zuniga left the courthouse with her mother without
> commenting. She did not speak in court except to answer "guilty" and
> respond "yes" or "no" to Hearn's questions about the plea.
>
> Oncken said the student, who was not identified, is now 15 and living in
> Oklahoma with his mother and stepfather. Parras, however, said he had
> heard that the youth had returned to the Houston area.
>
> Oncken and Parras agreed that the factor making the charge
> "aggravated" -- and carrying such a severe maximum sentence -- was the
> boy's age of 13 at the time of the offense.
>
> Oncken said she will "probably not" request DNA or blood tests to
> determine whether the teen is the father of Zuniga's unborn child. This
> is not an issue in the case, she said, noting that Zuniga has admitted
> to the sexual relationship.
>
> Parras said he does not intend to request such tests either.
>
> Parras said he does not know whether Zuniga has a job. If she receives
> probation, he said, "gainful employment will be required."
>
> Hearn took the plea in place of state District Judge Carol Davies, who
> is presiding over the murder trial of Clear Lake area dentist Clara
> Harris.

-- Dr Catherine Driscoll School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry University of Sydney Phone (61-2) 93569503

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/