Chechnya ready for referendum - administration head

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sun Jan 26 00:14:54 PST 2003

I have a lot of respect for Kadyrov. Former separatist fighter, he switched sides in 1999 (probably because he is sane) and became Kremlin-appointed head of the republic. He is also Chechnya's religious head.

22.01.2003 09:10:02 Chechnya ready for referendum - administration head MINERALNYE VODY. Jan 22 (Interfax) - Chechen administration head Akhmad Kadyrov briefed the PACE-Duma working group leader Lord Judd on the preparation of Chechnya's referendum. "At the moment, almost everything is ready for the referendum," Kadyrov pointed out. The migrants staying in compact settlements in Ingushetia will also participate in the referendum, he said. "We are talking about approximately 17,000 people. We cannot go looking for people in private houses, nor can we seek them in other Russian regions," he said. Judd wanted more information about security measures during the referendum. "Two and a half years ago we held the Russian presidential election in the republic and the conditions were much more difficult then. Although the situation is calmer at present, a hundred percent guarantee cannot be given either in Chechnya or in any other country of the world," he said. The Chechen government published two laws in the media, on the presidential and parliamentary election. "Moreover, 50,000 brochures of the draft Constitution will be handed out in the republic," he said. The draft has been translated into the Chechen language, he said.