Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Jan 26 05:07:39 PST 2003

Quoting billbartlett at dodo.com.au:

> >> still
> inheritance
> >>
> >> Do your questions above make sense to you?
> >
> >Yeah Yoshie, they do.
> >I could rephrase them more clearly, maybe, and if Carrol wants me to I
> guess
> >I'll give it a go.
>
> Do it for me Catherine. I love to stir argument, but I can't get a clear idea
> of exactly what people you mean. When you say "do not sell labour", do you
> mean in the narrow sense of not being legally an employee?

Well I could mean that, yes, I guess. But it wasn't the example I was thinking of though. I sell something to my employer, without a doubt, but it would be really hard to see that as labour in Marxist terms.

I did not grow up or learn to work with anything like the same "relations to production" I have now (given that that is once more the hardline credo of the month on lbo). It would be nothing short of useless stupidity to imagine that my relation to my employer and their profit margin now was the same as it was when I worked as a teller, a clerk, selling Avon or clothes, reading tarot cards, or when i was unemployed (among other things I could list).

> > Perhaps I could strive for some unassailable position-
> >taking... but actually they were genuine questions so, want to answer them
> or
> >want to taunt?
> >
> >If you take the first option, and not saying you have to, I'd be really
> >grateful if you didn't quote, but rather used your own words. It's so much
> more
> >like a conversation.
>
> Unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone to quote who represents my views on
> this issue. I assume that's why I'm a "crank" in Carrol's opinion.

Well, I guess I'm a bit cranky this weekend. I'm so damned hot. Though, at least moisture-in-the-air hot, not the insane desert stuff.

But if you like we can be cranks together. I probably need the practice if I'm going to even marginally fit in here.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/