Digital dilemmas

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 26 10:35:44 PST 2003

jimmyjames at softhome.net wrote:

>a series on the Internet and the economy.
>
>http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?Story_id=1534303
>
>"Despite the dotcom boom and bust, the computer and
>telecommunications revolution has barely begun. Over the next few
>decades, the internet and related technologies really will
>profoundly transform society, argues David Manasian."

No shit. Gosh, that's why I love the Economist - so provocative, original, against-the-grain. Who ever argued the techologies haven't and wouldn't change society? The questions are how, how much, and how differently from previous episodes of change?

And computers are going on 60 years old. They've been changing society for a long time now.

Doug