FRIDA review

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 14:40:29 PST 2003

Marta,

I haven't seen the film yet, but when I do, I shall keep in mind your comments. I wasn't even aware of Kahlo's withered leg and would not have had the background to consider this aspect of the movie had you not mentioned it in your review. Thanks.

Hayek is on the cover of this month's "Vanity Fair" and their is an extensive article on her. I will see if there is any mention of the points that you raise. It is clear that Hayek is taking the sex-godess track and not the serious-actress track, so that pretty much explains, I guess, why the crippledness isn't accurately portrayed (as if physically impaired individuals couldn't be physically beautiful, too!). I suspect Hayek is not so much to blame; probably the director or producer's call.

-Thomas

> wrote:
> My review of "Frida" is up at:
>
> http://www.counterpunch.org/russell01252003.html
> --
> Marta Russell

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"