FRIDA review

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 26 22:23:47 PST 2003

>Marta wrote:
>

>> I don't know of any serious actors who walk practically nude to the
>> academy - not even Sharon Stone. I don't think people view that sort
>> of thing as serious and I don't think Salma Hayek is a serious actor,
>> mostly a body who should be a model for bikini magazines. That is
>> how she portrays herself and that is the reaction that she gets. She
>> really wasn't actor enough for this film is what I am saying. Now
>> Daniel Day Lewis - that is an actor.
>> Marta
>
>I haven't seen the movie, but I believe Hayek received a fair amount of
>critical praise for her performance.
>
>-- Luke

No critics seemed to bother to know enough about Frida to comment as to what kind of job Hayek really did or did not do. All I can say is that if Daniel Day Lewis had not conformed his body to Christi Brown's body he would have been rightly criticized for it. Why isn't Hayek criticized? Women must be sex symbols and preserve their conventional looks on film? Is that what you are saying, that Hayek got praise for conforming to the Miss Mexico image or something?

It is just Hollywood fr Chr*t sake. It is like politics -- you often don't know who is screwing who. Or who is paying who off for reviews.

Marta --