Same old same old (Was DeLeuze, etc.)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 06:28:22 PST 2003

In
> other words, in Parecon we wouldn't have college
> professors, we'd have
> researcher/bathroom attendants, teacher/ice cream
> salesmen and
> paper-grader/lifeguards.
>
> I am more or less paraphrasing Albert and Hahnel.
> Whether any of it would
> work I couldn't begin to say, but most of the
> "coordinator" types I know
> find the idea of balanced job complexes _deeply_
> offensive, no less so if
> they happen to lean left.

Can't imagine why, since we all do all these things already. I'm a lawyer/Dad/housecleaner/shopper, etc. Of course there's a touch of "send the intellectuals to the countryside" Maoism in the Parecon proposal, but I'm not actually sure that it was altogether a bad idea to send send the intellectuals to the countryside. From ones I know who were sent, they weren't much use to the farmers, except for one mathematician I knew, but they learned a lot themselves. There is a connected question about what's the best way to have people use their labor power: people like my mathematician friend who have no farming training tend to make poor farmers; I am perfectly capable to doing mass photocopying, but is that really the best way to put my skills to use? ANyway, the main point is that there will be plenty of room for lawyers, bureaucrtas, economists, and other malign times in parecon or any nonmarket system. jks

jks