Vysotsky. was Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #7309

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 10:38:53 PST 2003

Arrrrgh!

How did this thread get started, just with the BBC report or something before that? Anyway, I lose patience wading through all the cultural crit verbiage, esepcially cutural crit verbiage recycled in two or three rounds of contained replies and then of course along comes a concrete example.

In the West, I am pretty sure Vysotsky's counter cultural poetic license image qualified him as a dissident against the norms of Soviet Society. That may say as much about Westerns fantasies and ways poets get marginalizied or sometimes marginalize themselves as about real dissent. Every drunken bard may or may not carry huge transformative significance even if they also come along telling the truth in unpopular ways.

I do not remember off the top of my head, did Vysotsky not record with the state label by his choice, by their choice, or by mutual lack of agreement?

To me not recording with the state label IS a mark of dissent. However, I also assume the government decided he was sufficiently harmless that they could send him abroad and collect modest brownie points for some degree of "artistic freedom" at a time when ballet dancers and some nominally state-approved athletes and culture workers were defecting all over the place.

The other point about draping Moscow with flowers right after his death: his death occurred during the 1980 Olympics after the Authorities had done the customary "roust everybody in Moscow without proper documents" that happened before many large events. Draping the city with flowers is one thing. Actually letting fans into the city to mourn might have been another.

DoreneC