Whither the "Anti-Globalization" Movement? Re: Raimondo on WWP

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jan 27 11:20:41 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> At 10:41 AM -0500 1/27/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> The size of ANSWER's first protest here, and the stage they got in the
>> media, was due in large part to the organizing work that the MGJ and
>> ACC did for the anti-globalization protests, which were then disrupted
>> by 9/11.
>

> Terrorist attacks on the US soil to the magnitude of 9/11 may not happen
> soon and may never happen again, but it is impossible to say that they
> never will. Is the "anti-globalization" movement to retreat every time
> terrorists hit the USA?, creating the political vacuum hardly filled by
> a small number of hardass anarchists, pacifists, and Leninists? Or was
> the retreat just a one-time thing, a shocked response to an
> unprecedented and unexpected event?
>
> It became clear that there was something wrong with the dominant
> ideology of the "anti-globalization" movement, as it allowed itself to
> be disrupted by terrorists and war-mongers. Has the
> "anti-globalization" movement overcome the problem? Can we still say
> that the "anti-globalization" movement exists in the USA? If so, in
> what form?

Sure, the anti-globalization movement is alive and well in the U.S.

You could say that one part of the anti-globalization movement retreated after 9/11, but not the part I'm part of. We went ahead with a militant anti-capitalist march in Washington just two weeks after 9/11, when some people were saying that protest should lie low. My attitude was, if Wall Street is open for business a week after the attacks, then why should we get back to the business of doing anti-business? Oh, and we also organized a response to the WEF meeting when that was moved to New York City. That's hardly evidence of the movement putting its head in the sand.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips