Workers and Managers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 27 12:24:01 PST 2003

At 12:13 PM -0800 1/27/03, Gar Lipow wrote:
>>Aren't the sort of CEOs and board members (be they of accounting
>>firms or other corporations) who have the ability to undercut the
>>interest of other shareholders actually _owners_ themselves, rather
>>than just managers?
>
>Yes. But the auditors are not. Auditors are what I would classify as
>coordinators and you would classify as skilled workers.

Those who do the actual work of auditing (and other sorts of regulatory work) are skilled workers, but what they work on, how they work, what they are allowed to accomplish, how many of them are employed, etc. are not determined by them -- rather they are determined by those who control the state agencies (in the case of auditors in the public sectors) and firms (in the case of those in the private sectors). -- Yoshie