FRIDA review

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 12:36:23 PST 2003

I dont know how this discussion morphed into this. First, Martha made some excellent points about how the movie concealed Kahlo's handicap. And then Marta and I both speculated that it was because the actress was going to be pushed as a "bimbo" (I dont know why bimbo is used, the correct word would be "bimba") and that it wouldn't have been sexy if the withered leg had been put into evidence.

Obviously whether or not an actress wears diaphanous clothing or none at all does not reflect on her acting ability. However someone (whether the actress, director or producer) decided that "sex appeal" was more important than the truth.

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"