Albert & Hahnel or Marx & Engels?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 14:57:49 PST 2003

--- joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at sun.com> wrote:
> At 02:56 PM 01/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >Why does the prospect of doing ones fair share of
> unpleasant work have to
> >come across as some sort of dystopian nightmare out
> of science fiction?
>
> Beats me! I've nevery been able to figure that one
> out. But then I'm a
> woman and, possibly, hardwired to accept the fact
> that life involves
> arduous and patient work. Somewhere or other I also
> got the idea that it is
> ignoble to offload my work unto others...even if I
> could "get away with it."
>
> Joanna

Right, unlike us male lawyers, who never do any arduous, patient, and painstaking work. It's a real lark to have sort out, first, choice of law issues in an ill-pleaded complaint, then do parallel analyses in the law of three states of a dozen causes of action, finding cases that not only state the correct law but come out the same way as the way you want the court to come out, thewn make sure all your citations are correct and still good law, and then to copy-edit your motion a dozen times to remove embarassing typos. (This is what I have been doing this last week.) No, I sure wouldn't know about careful, exacting, often tedious work. Nope, a lawyer's life is a glorious cycle of song, a medley of extemporania. But I'm a man, and therefore terminally insensitive. Ignoble, too. Sheesh.

jks