the stupidity of American journalism (cont.)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 28 09:48:02 PST 2003

[from Romenesko's Media News]

"Activist" Huffington booted off Oregonian's op-ed page <http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/dan_hortsch/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1043499521223241.xml>

Oregonian Oregonian associate editor Doug Bates says Arianna Huffington's <http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/> columns remain "snappy and readable," but she's "dragged herself across the line from being a commentator to being an activist" with her anti-SUV campaign. Huffington disagrees, telling ombud Dan Hortsch: "It is a movement to raise awareness. I have never contributed to political candidates or campaigns. To me, that is the line." Still, Bates is pulling Huffington and adding David Ignatius to his line-up. (Read what Star-Telegram columnist Dave Lieber <http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/columnists/dave_lieber/5047610.htm> says about Huffington's campaign.)