Rivera and Kahlo 1

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Tue Jan 28 14:17:00 PST 2003

At 04:28 PM 01/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>It is no accident that most other peoples on earth would probably
>understand such a melodrama with all its self-reflexive metaphors
>intact---and most in the US wouldn't, much less have any sympathy at
>for it. In the many evolving rounds from their legend three quarters
>of a century ago, it is now become the drama of Empire against Earth,
>what the US is doing today, now, immediately.

Ugh-- the movie's sense of history is laughable, pitiable, etc. I mean, it makes "Amadeus" look like something directed by Eisenstein -- by comparison. And, Amadeus, by my standards was only-just-OK....though I have enjoyed watching it with my kids many times since the first (disappointing) viewing.

The only living American director who can handle/understand/represent a historical consciousness is Ang Lee, and I don't know what the hell he's doing these days.

Joanna -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030128/6de237e2/attachment.htm>