FRIDA review

jimmyjames at softhome.net jimmyjames at softhome.net
Mon Jan 27 15:44:25 PST 2003

At 02:41 PM 1/27/03 -0800, Thomas Seay wrote:

>Anyway, it is "revealing" that this thread has become
>centered around a statement that you made about
>Hayek's wardrobe rather than about accurate portrayal
>of
>Hayek's physical disabilities in the movie, which is
>what your review was about.
>
>-Thomas

'course, apparently, by hayek's own admission, she downplayed many parts of frida's life, particularly the political part of her life. gee. too bad that wasn't mentioned on a 'zine site that is supposed to be about left politics! not that disability isn't political, but Frida was a communist, for pete's sake. further, it isn't at all clear to me that the review accurately reflects what hayek DID try to do, to wit:

"What did you do to physically get into the role? Did you actually shave your upper lip? I did that but it didn't work. Now, I'm stuck with it. I had a shoe that was one centimeter taller than the other one. It was very difficult to know exactly where she stood on the limping. I talked to many people that knew her and some people would say she never limped, some people would say she always limped, and some people would say she limped sometimes. So what I did is have the shoe bigger than the other one and then try not to limp, try to hide it. But then at times when I thought she was very tired or going through a hard time, I would surrender to whatever that did naturally. I'd stop trying."

<http://www.filmmonthly.com/Profiles/Articles/SHayek/SHayek.html> <http://www.salmahayek.org/frida/article_comingsoon.html> <http://www.splicedonline.com/02features/shayek.html>

i think it unfortunate that hayek was mischaracterized as not as interested as lewis in getting into the physical aspects of her role and of supposedly ignoring the polio and scholiosis because she was uninterested in dealing with that aspect of her life. As she says, she decided not to focus on that theme but, rather, on what Frida, herself, was more focused on in her life.

also, apparently, she played sports as a child. her father involved her in them, another unconventional aspect of her life.

it's not at all clear to me that she's a "bimbo all over" let alone one of the "mexican variety".

kelley