FRIDA review

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Jan 27 17:32:36 PST 2003

>>Kelley wrote:
>>i think it unfortunate that hayek was mischaracterized as not as
>>interested as lewis in getting into the physical aspects of her
>>role and of supposedly ignoring the polio and scholiosis because
>>she was uninterested in dealing with that aspect of her life.

Too add one more on this accusation from Kelley. I was in LA when Daniel Day Lewis was putting himself through training for the Christi Brown role. He asked for advice from disabled people. He spent time in a wheelchair in Ireland - about three weeks before shooting started -- to see what that was about. He described how people would not address him directly, how they would ask the able bodied person he was with questions about him, how he was discriminated against and treated. He was horrified by it all.

So really before you accuse someone of "mischaracterizing" you should find out more, otherwise you are just slandering my work. I sure as hell don't appreciate it. I've been doing this work for years and years and years --- far beyond your imagined experience.

Marta --