WWP's *Deep Pockets* [!!snort!!]

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Mon Jan 27 21:25:56 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian O. Sheppard" <bsheppard at bari.iww.org>

(Featherstone)
> > > 2)Most peace groups are very disorganized, partly because they
involve
> > > people who are also dealing with jobs, school, children,
grandchildren,
> > > friends and lives. Luckily, party-building groups don't have that
problem!

(Paulsen)
> > Brian Sheppard agreed that this was true of WWP, based on god knows
what. I
> > suppose these people think that we party-building types are all living
in
> > barracks and have turned our children over to the state or have had our
> > tubes severed or tied!!
>
> The WWP doesn't employ full-time organizers? (And the "God knows what"
> that my statements were based on was meetings with the WWP in the late
> 1990s in San Francisco.)

We have a few. Similarly, 'peace groups' like AFSC, Peace Action, etc. also have full-time organizers and staffers. Featherstone said that 'peace groups' also 'involve' people with real-life problems (in addition to their paid staff), whereas 'party-building groups don't have this problem'.

> My point was (and is) this: There are some of us who don't get paid for
> organizing or for activism. It isn't our career. We have lives and must
> work in our off-hours, or during unpaid time, to pursue these interests.

Yeah. Do tell. Like me, for example. Like everyone in WWP in Chicago and most other cities.

> Then there are people, such as those in the WWP like the Becker brothers,
> who get paid to be members of the WWP and IAC. IAC activism IS their
> career. I'm sure these people have lives, too. But their lives are
> different from the lives of people for whom activism is an avocation and
> not the way to pay the bills.

That's the point? What's the point of the point?

LP