Whither the "Anti-Globalization" Movement?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 27 12:17:18 PST 2003

At 2:20 PM -0500 1/27/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>You could say that one part of the anti-globalization movement
>retreated after 9/11, but not the part I'm part of. We went ahead
>with a militant anti-capitalist march in Washington just two weeks
>after 9/11, when some people were saying that protest should lie low.

I'm aware of that, and I've said as much here, but the militant part of the "anti-globalization" movement was a tiny part. Hence the smallness of S29, 2001. Putting together hardass anarchists, pacifists, and Leninists, I recall that perhaps 20,000 to 25,000 protesters came to D.C. on that day.

At 2:55 PM -0500 1/27/03, Liza Featherstone wrote:
>Also, a lot -- even most -- of the "anti-globalization" activists have been
>actively protesting the war, and bringing to that movement an
>anti-imperialist, social justice consciousness, as well as playful
>sensibility, creative tactics, confrontational energy, etc.

On one hand, I'm glad that erstwhile "anti-globalization" activists became anti-war activists, in the process acquiring more pronounced anti-imperialist accents. On the other hand, demands that the power elite drop international debts, pay reparations, etc, became less audible in the USA.

Also, a movement to end sanctions against Iraq was growing prior to 9.11, but now we've backslided a great deal, with the focus more on stopping or at least delaying the war on Iraq at all costs. We ended up switching from an offensive to a defensive position.

At 2:55 PM -0500 1/27/03, Liza Featherstone wrote:
>I think for a lot of people, protesting the war is sort of
>inseparable from protesting things like the WEF

For 5-10 % of Americans, probably yes. What of the rest? -- Yoshie