Jordan's Islamists issue ifatwa-i against journos

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue Jan 28 16:50:03 PST 2003

Dennis P:
> >And the anti-imperial resistance continues . . .
>
> Against whom is this directed? No one here that I know of has
> endorsed fundamentalist Islam as a worth anti-imperial force. Just
> because Hitch does it doesn't make it cool.
>
> Doug
Dennis: Hitch has nothing to do with it (you have me confused with Peter K). And, no, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but there has been talk, both here and elsewhere, that since the US and its Arab clients have suppressed democratic movements in the Arab world, the only anti-imperial game left in town is the Islamic one. Yes, they are imperfect and misguided, but they do hate the West, and that's a start, etc. etc. It is *that* tendency I was commenting on. ------- Me: Well if Doug wants to debate in those terms - which I think is childish and immature - anti-war is definitely more cool. Garofalo is cool (really). Conservatives are square. Clinton was cool (sarcasm). Except the Saudi monarchy is rather square and they're definitely against a democratic Iraq and a democratic Saudi Arabia. Here's the al Qaeda connection: with a democratic Iraq and a democratic SA there will be no US bases in SA for Osama to be pissed about.

And budge, have you read the NION ad in the NYT or at their site? They say America attacked Afghanistan in revenge. They say sure 911 was bad but so was Panama, Baghdad and Vietnam. Disgusting. Pathetic.

Hitch *is* pretty hip at the moment, though. A young documentary filmmaker who was hit at Sundance this year and who did the latest Eminem video is going to a do documentary based on Letters to a Young Contrarian, even though Hitch says he doesn't like the word contrarian. http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20030127/RVMARS/Arts/thearts/thearts_te mp/5/5/12/

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Hitchens-playa-haters!

yours, Peter K.