charities

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jan 28 20:09:06 PST 2003

Joanna wrote:

> They're not homeless because of substance abuse. They're homeless because
> they are poor. They are poor because they were born poor, and/or because
> they are disabled or mentally ill AND poor. Christopher Reeve is disabled,
> but he is not homeless. Kurt Cobain had a substance-abuse problem, but he
> was not homeless.

Any analysis of homelessness purporting to be comprehensive couldn't reasonably discount the role of substance abuse and mental illness. Nonetheless, I'm sure we agree that the government could solve the problem of homelessness even without doing much to address the problems of substance abuse and mental illness.

> Sorry to be picky but the argument that the poor are poor due to moral
> failings makes me very upset.

I can't think of many instances where substance abuse could reasonably be considered a moral failing, and I can't think of any where mental illness could possibly be considered a moral failing.

-- Luke