Dark motives of pacifists

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jan 29 07:39:30 PST 2003

Thiago:

> Out of curiosity, just what motives to you think the anti-war crowd have -
> other than stopping the war? Or is this some sort of pretentious and let's
face
> it, 'very noble and dignified', Socratic stance whereby people will
question
> themselves and then come to the conclusions they previously held, only
this
> time they will have done it with your help? (Ah... all that Nietzsche
floating
> around the Porto Alegre bourgeoisie is starting to affect me)

I would assume that any politically-minded or active person might be thinking past a war on Saddam, if indeed it comes. If it doesn't, then what is the "antiwar" position with Saddam still in power? US/UK out of Iraqi airspace? OK, then what? No arms inspections? OK, then what? Sit back and allow Saddam to rebuild his arsenal, stock up on chemical and biological weapons, work toward getting a few dozen nukes? Undermine what's left of the democratic Palestinian resistance? Crush the Kurds? The Shi'as? What will be the "antiwar" position if and when this happens? Because if you are against war, then what is your alternative?

> On your previous comment, which was rather short of cordial, I should tell
you
> that it is unwise second guessing the Uruguayans, Argentinians,
Palestinians,
> Brazilians, MST, PT, Fourth Internationalists, Anarchists and esperanto
> proselytisers whom I have personally spoken to and who have assured me
they are
> not in favour of Saddam Hussein, but back his country to the hilt against,
> well, your country.

Would they say the same to a Kurd looking to knock Saddam out of power? "We don't really like Saddam, you see. But we really don't think attacking him is a good idea." I know -- the Kurds have a different grievance, a more genuine one. But when you say "his country," meaning Saddam's country (a revealing use of words, ceding his ownership of the Iraqi people), do you mean you back him to the hilt against all opposition, or just Bush?

> Indeed, in answer to your rhetorical question, bombing Iraq for ten years
> killing over a million people has made that country not so much a heroic
symbol
> of resistance, but an unforgettable symbol of your hypocrisy.

I've been quite critical of the US tactic of using Iraq as an imperial punching bag. Here's a sample from Pacifica's "Counterspin" (introduced by the lovely Laura Flanders). Scroll to the bottom:

<http://www.webactive.com/webactive/cspin/cspin980220.html>

And, again, I'm against Bush's war, esp the flimsy rationale used to promote it. This obvious fact, stated a number of times, never seems to sink into the heads of those who, if they don't hear their chants echoed back to them, get alarmed and confused and begin fantasizing about another's position, upping the body count and gore level to where they feel smug and comfy once again.

DP