Christian Soldiers

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 30 06:28:24 PST 2003

sorry mike and peter. i don't think the faux president is any more christian than the roman emperor nero, for example, who also threw helpless people to the lions to maintain his popularity ratings.

shrub is a hypocrite and opportunist. jesus did not seem to be mincing any words when characterizing violence as a way to perpetuate conflict, not deal with it or resolve it. there's no gospel that states violence is acceptable in any way, shape or form. just the opposite. there's really no such thing as a "christian soldier;" "fishers of men" yes: "soldiers" no.

if the ten commandments mean "thou shalt not kill," shrub has broken god's law already, several times over. if "love thy neighbor as thyself," and "turn the other cheek" mean what they say, shrub's a sinner from way back.

shrub has broken biblical teachings and laws by, to paraphrase jimmy carter, lusting for violence in his heart. one is hard pressed to find any biblical laws shrub hasn't broken.

biblical laws don't mean anything to shrub where his childish, spoiled desires are concerned. he "uses" god rather than letting god use him.

it might give some perspective to ask yourself what would jesus do in this situation. i believe he'd be in iraq, doing all he can to heal the people. and in washington, dc, doing all he can to get the US embargo stopped so the people of iraq could receive medicines, food, goods that they need to survive. i don't think he'd see violence as an option. and i doubt saddam would stay around very long, of his own free will, with jesus on the job.

i'd particularly like to see what the greedy MNC oil companies would do. greed, power and oil is shrub's real religion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike larkin" <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 12:56 PM Subject: Christian Soldiers

from nypress today. had trouble with the link, but it's short.

Peter Eavis Christian Soldiers

After hearing Bush's State of the Union address last night, many nonbelievers, as well as plenty of Christians, will be asking how the prez can talk with great fervor about his compassionate God, and yet be so keen to wage a war that could lead to the deaths of thousands of innocents. As a born-again, albeit an antiwar one, I'll have a go at parsing that.

First off, you have to realize how happy Christians are to have anyone in the White House talking God-talk, despite strict warnings in scripture not to worship Man. As a result, they will often tolerate a surprisingly large number of policies they don't agree with. For example, it was uplifting last night to see the world's most powerful man talking about supernatural miracles before millions of people. As an ex-addict freed by the Lord's power, Bush said the following with true feeling: "Tonight, let us bring to all Americans who struggle with drug addiction this message of hope: The miracle of recovery is possible, and it could be you."

But Iraq should present problems to anyone who takes "turning the other cheek" seriously. How can Bush, who so obviously knows God's love, want to engage in an attack that could cause great suffering for millions of dirt-poor, downtrodden Iraqis? Obviously, Bush thinks he's doing good. At some point, he decided that the possible gains to the American and Iraqi people from a war far outweigh the harmful consequences. I don't believe that to be the case-the suffering could be horrendous. Nor would an attack on Iraq constitute a just war, in my book. Also, the Bush administration, to its great discredit, is using war rhetoric for maximum domestic political effect. And you'd be deranged to think oil is not a significant motivating factor in its Mideast policy. Most importantly, the Pentagon's plans to rain down hundreds of cruise missiles in the first days of the war does not sit well with the part of Bush's speech that says: "we will fight in a just cause and by just means, sparing, in every way we can, the innocent."

However, I can't categorically say Bush has broken clear biblical teachings or laws by wanting to go after Saddam. As much as I hate to admit, much ultimately depends on how he conducts this conflict. Who knows, the second big miracle of Dubya's life could be an easy, relatively bloodless road to Baghdad. But then what? Send in Ann Coulter to convert the Ay-rabs, I guess.