Guys arguing about abortion rights

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Jan 30 11:01:35 PST 2003

It always amazes me in this kind of discussion how many men there are who will quote and defend anti-choice, or pro-choice-but-anti-abortion women, and defend them as feminists and progressive, and then quote and defend each other and other supposed 'progressive anti-abortion men', COMPARED WITH the number of "anti-abortion progressive women" who ever get into the argument.

Clearly the notion is very widespread among some 'progressive men' that, among some 3 billion females on this planet, there are very few with adequate moral sense or debating skills to come forward and properly represent the interests of babies and feti. No, the "leftist" men have to step forward and educate the women about how they need to care for their babies in the interests of democracy and all that.

Personally, I think that women probably have at least as good a record of caring for children as men, and at least as much experience at it, and at least as much insight into how their own legitimate rights and the legitimate rights of babies can be conceptualized and mutually advanced. And possibly MORE. Which is to say that if by some miracle all men were struck dumb and powerless on the issue, not only would there be a tremendous saving in bandwidth, but the resultant debates among women alone would probably be of high quality and result in policies at least as good as if we men had assisted in their formulation.

I am not inflexible, and would be willing to read arguments against completely unlimited and unrestricted right to abortion on demand, IF AND WHEN, that is, they were to come from genuinely representative and uncoerced assemblies of women, and if the determination and enforcement of any such rules or limits were to be left in the hands of such women alone. Of course I would never do anything to promote or enforce such limits, but I would read the arguments.

Lou Paulsen Chicago