Pro-choice v. pro-abortion (Re: Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Matt lbo at beyondzero.net
Thu Jan 30 12:30:58 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:43:15PM -0500, jimmyjames at softhome.net wrote:

> and even if those attitudes magically change, why should i or any woman be
> forced to carry to term if I'm not interested in changing the condition of
> my body--and i don't give a rat's if it's because i'm a superficial bimbo
> and don't want stretch marks.

Lifestyle abortions:

http://www.tnr.com/archive/0499/040599/caldwell040599.html

In the polls, Americans profess ambivalence about abortion, openly

supporting it only for "serious" reasons: for the health of the

mother by 84 percent to twelve percent, for grave birth defects by

75 to 21, for rape by 77 to 19. They claim to oppose it for

"trivial" reasons--for women who say they can't afford another baby

by 42 to 53, for those who don't want another baby by 40 to 55, for

those trying to avoid a shotgun wedding by 40 to 55. In other words,

Americans claim not to back "lifestyle" abortions.

Republicans, at least the economic conservatives among them, are in

a weak position to argue that Americans should throw all of this

away. For in no other realm do they argue that the quest for

lifestyle is a frivolous thing. The pro-choice position has much in

common with their own. It is a market doctrine run amok in the

nonmarket world. The underlying Republican defense of the American

tendency to valorize, to monetize, to consumerize everything--from

happiness to love to pride--has always been that the nature of those

eternal pleasures is not altered a whit by having a dollar value

attached to them. That ski vacation that the mother of three is

aborting her child for might be a repository of all the happiness or

love or pride she has.

An activist friend calls this her favorite article on reproductive rights. ;)

> The day that I don't have to read listservs dominated by men who whine
> about fat cow pregnant wimmins, who mock and judge squishy jello titted
> broads with broods, who get grossed out by stretch marks, and who talk
> about how to identify women who've (i crap you negative) "calved" by

"calved"? That's a new one. Where is this coming from?

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 This is a good game, it's called, The Truth.

-Dimitri Moisevitch