Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 30 16:05:09 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> To me, it's a bedrock issue. If women can't control reproduction,
> they're not free, and structurally subordinated to men. I don't see
> why I should let someone who thinks otherwise speak at my political
> convention.

This seems pretty basic. And on "free speech." Freedom of speech means freedom from state intervention. Attempts by other means (such as booing the speaker so continuously that he quits in disgust, as we did here with a South African Consulate official back in the '70s) are always debatable, but cannot be condemned on the grounds of their interference with freedom of speech. We need to fight for women's right to _comfort and ease_ (including social comfort and ease) in achieving abortions. And hence we need to ostracise as completely as possible all verbal attempts to make getting an abortion socially uncomfortable. It is a medical not a moral choice, no more discussable by others than is the decision to trim one's nails.

Carrol