Vystosky

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 30 16:34:36 PST 2003

> -Was there any punishment for being caught with illegal publications?
>
> Alexandre Fenelon

Not that I know of. There was not such a thing as illegal publications. Generally, possession as such was not an offence according to Polsih legal code - which also pertained to drugs (but curiously not to firearms)- you had to do something with it (like sell or buy) to come under the definition of a criminal offense. So for example if a cop merely found a joint on you - he could not charge you with "possession" (I guess on theground that "possession" is a claim rather than act - and only acts can be criminal , but I am not a legal expert). He would have to observe you doing something with it, like selling or using in public places (which was illegal). Same for pubs. You could have whatever you wanted, but you could not distribute certain types of pubs defined in broad terms, such as glorifying or encouraging crimes, sedition or defaming public institutions or figures.

However, I never heard of anyone being charged with distributing such materials. I was in a network distributing "samizadats" (home made publications produced by typewriter and copy machine) and of course everyone wanted to belive that there was a great risk involved, but in fact there was none. One of my buddies was once caught by a cop while distributing these publications in a crowd, and immediately told the cop that if he was going to be charged with a "political offese" he wants an attorney (which was the standard line every 'dissident' was supposed to recite if arrested). The cop replied "you want to be a martyr, huh?" and wrote him a ticket for littering in public places.

Wojtek