Christian Soldiers

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Jan 30 20:27:45 PST 2003

Hi,

In my church youth group when I was 17. You apparently missed that lesson.

You might read:

Martin, William. (1996). With God on Our Side: The Rise of the Religious Right in America. New York: Broadway Books.

Martin, who I worked with when we were both advisors to the PBS series of the same name as his book (which was the series study companion), demonstrates how a broad range of leaders on the Christian Right consider themselves devout Christians and justify their ideas and actions through their particular reading of Biblical text. He also study's apocalyptic aspects of their belief. That this is true is even more vivid in the TV programs where they are interviewed.

I also wrote the entries on apocalyptic belief for the following:

Encyclopedia of Millennialism and Millennial Movements. Richard A. Landes, ed., (Berkshire Reference Works; Routledge encyclopedias of religion and society). New York: Routledge, 2000.

Encyclopedia of Fundamentalism. Brenda Brasher and Jeffrey Kaplan, eds., (Berkshire Reference Works; Routledge encyclopedias of religion and society). New York: Routledge, 2001.

I even presented a paper on the dangers of Christian apocalypticism to a national conference of fundamentalists in Ohio.

So you have a right to your opinion that what I wrote was "intellectual snobbery," but at least a few people, including some rank and pew folk, seem to think I have done my homework on this topic.

-Chip Berlet