Rice for Peace

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:57:58 PST 2003

I talked to some people more active in the peace movement that I am. There are heck of a lot of peace groups putting effort into the Rice for Peace thing. This includes a lot chapters of FOR. That overcomes my objections. If significant numbers of people are putting effort into it, then enough packages should be sent that security won't be able to bury it. I'm putting my rice in the mail today, and I'm going to publicize it where I can, and try to hook up with someone local who is involved with it, and do some volunteer stuff on it. Kelley, thanks so much for finding this.

Umm - in case anyone has forgotten what it is:

An explaination can be found at: http://www.rmpjc.org/RiceForPeace/

To quote briefly:

>In the 1950's, tens of thousands of people sent small bags of rice to President Eisenhower convincing him not to attack China. Now a nationwide effort has been launched to send the same message to President Bush about Iraq. If we are going to send something to Iraq it should be food, not bombs.

>Send a half cup of uncooked rice in a plastic bag and padded envelope with the message "Rice for Peace - No War On Iraq" on the outside of the package. [My interpolation - must be padded or in a strong box.]

Mail to:

President George Bush The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington DC 20500 E-mail us your city and state so we can count your message for peace.

RiceForPeace at indra.com