Everyday Stalinism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 31 10:19:02 PST 2003

> > Sheila Fitzpatrick, _Everyday Stalinism -- Ordinary Life In
>> Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930's_:
>> <http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-505000-2> &
>> <http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-505001-0>.
>>
>> Sheila Fitzpatrick:
>> <http://history.uchicago.edu/faculty/fitzpatrick.html>
>>
>> jobs. As Fitzpatrick points out, this gambling mentality was the
>> antithesis of the official mentality stressing rational planning.
>> Outwardly obedient, Homo sovieticus retained a degree of skepticism.
>> "Homo sovieticus was a string-puller, an operator, a time-server, a
>> freeloader, a mouther of slogans, and much more. But above all, he
> > was a survivor" (p. 227).
>
>Such a passage written by an American writer is in the same class as a
>Nazi hack reproaching Soviets for their anti-semitism or labor camps.
>For the gambling games Homo americanus play at work see Michael
>Burawoy, _Manufacturing Consent_.
>
>Wojtek

I haven't read _Everyday Stalinism_ -- you may very well be right about it overall, though I don't see any reproach in the particular quotation on which you comment. I'm sure parallels existed between American and Soviet shop floors, but you can't learn about lives of Soviet citizens by reading _Manufacturing Consent_. I'm intrigued by what appears to be a new interest in everyday life of Soviet citizens in all periods of Soviet history, written by scholars with wide-ranging political persuasions. _Everyday Stalinism_ is just one example of many new (or newish) publications on the subject (see my other posts). Taken as one perspective among many, it should offer some things of interest. -- Yoshie