Molly Ivins Cain't Say That Was Re: Sam Donaldson explains it all

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 20:59:29 PST 2003

So um, just out of curiosity, was Mr. Red Duke educated in "the "Great State?" And was his parents, say corporate lawyers or medical perfessionals too? My guess as far as Molly Ivins: you can take the girl out of TX but you cain't take TX out of the girl. Otherwise maybe she would have stayed at the NYT instead of running home to TX to write for a scrappy weekly without knowing she'd eventually have a syn-di-cated column to back her up.

I do not think people much put on their speech habits, and for some reason I am stuck on Senators to make my point. Why on earth would Patty Murray, Maria Cantwell, and Bill Gates all get the same whine if it weren't a generalized affliction around these parts?

Then there is MT. If you ever have the misfortune to catch Conrad Burns on the cable teevee speaking on the Senate floor, his diction is A LITTLE toned down compared to stumping at home, but he will sound exactly like he should be giving the livestock report about pig futures and what all. This would be because that is exactly what he did FOREVER before getting to politics. Sen Baucus on the other hand manages A LITTLE more urbane delivery, but his diction still wanders pretty close to the movie Fargo when compared to, say, Ted Kennedy or Al D'Amato.

Speaking for myself, I think the chameleon effect only goes so far and then gets darned tiresome in the bargain. I ran away from home in MT to go to college on the east coast. At the time, I thought I had no accent and all those Easterners just talked funny. My college friends assured me that it was I who talked funny, especially when talking on the phone to MT. The on breaks, my high-school friends would razz me about talking like an Easterner. (Think of the NYT as your basic schooyard, only maybe better dressed.)

So I fixed them all and moved to the southern Indiana for awhile. The only lasting thing I got out of that is a "Y'all" I keep around for when I need to pretend to speak "hayseed" or when I need a good non-gender-specific substitute for "you guys," "youz guys," etc.

And maybe we got no call objectin' to "nu ku lar" on account of Sequim (Skwim) WA, Puyallup (PEW all up) WA, and Peru (PEE ru) IN. Doesn't make listening to Shrub any more pleasant, but that's a different problem.

DoreneC