[lbo-talk] inflation and Ernest Mandel

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 07:19:35 PDT 2003

Someone -- I think Chris D -- mentioned the argument that current military production is more capital intensive and less labor intensive than social spending, or indeed old-time military spending (building tanks and bombers for WWII, eg). In graduate school --this must have been around 1987 0r 88, really it doesn't seem to long ago ;} -- I wrote a paper in which I surveyed research on this topic, and came to the conclusion (based on the then available data) that it was supported by the evidence. It makes a diff, I hypothesized, if the $ pumped in by pump-priming goes to investors, who may or may not put it to any productive use, than to workers, who must spend it all.

jks