[lbo-talk] IT, Other White Collar Jobs Floating To Cheaper Locales

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 1 10:54:28 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>[If even the most privileged members of the working
>population - college educated white collar and
>technical workers - find themselves marginalized,
>de-skilled and, perhaps, impoverished by offshore
>outsourcing, among other factors, what will it mean
>for the peaceful maintainence of the capitalist
>order?]

I'd be careful about extrapolating too much from this - what we're hearing now sounds a lot like what we were hearing 10 years ago, just as the U.S. economy was about to add over 20 million jobs. I don't think we're on the verge of a strong recovery like that of the 1990s, but I also doubt we'll see a solvency- and stability-threatening mass exodus either.

Doug