[lbo-talk] inflation and Ernest Mandel

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 1 12:11:15 PDT 2003

>Someone -- I think Chris D -- mentioned the argument
that current military production is more capital intensive and less labor intensive than social spending, or indeed old-time military spending (building tanks and bombers for WWII, eg). In graduate school --this must have been around 1987 0r 88, really it doesn't seem to long ago ;} -- I wrote a paper in which I surveyed research on this topic, and came to the conclusion (based on the then available data) that it was supported by the evidence. It makes a diff, I hypothesized, if the $ pumped in by pump-priming goes to investors, who may or may not put it to any productive use, than to workers, who must spend it all.

Mandel would have been addressing the prior moment of military production, so it's hard to see where he's coming from, at least. When you say that you found it made a difference, do you mean that there was some inflationary effect for social as opposed to military spending? How strong was the correlation?

I don't have my Mandel handy, but it seems like this idea is one of those one-dimensional explanations that is driven by (a) anti-militarism, (b) the whole "productive/unproductive" labor idea, and/or (c) the inflationary- crisis-by-imbalance-between-department-1-and-department-2 idea. It seems like one of those undialectical moments in Marxist political economy--where Mandel gets caught doing dialectics at a standstill.

Christian