[lbo-talk] IT, Other White Collar Jobs Floating To Cheaper Locales

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 13:14:45 PDT 2003

I COMPLETELY agree with Dwayne on this. I dont know how much this has shown up on the statistical radar screen for you economists to see, but down here in the trenches, it is what is happening. It was a trend even during the Boom, and in the wake of the downturn, it has been accelerated drastically. I hear more and more managers considering outsourcing. I have never heard this kind of talk before and to this extent. And they are not just talking about it, they are doing it..

-Thomas

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Which means that skilled, well paid American
> programmers (along with others whose jobs can be
> distributed remotely via the Internet) will find
> themselves unable to find work in the numbers, and
> at
> the level to which they've grown accustomed.
>
> The standard neo-liberal response to complaints
> about
> this is that workers need to retool and 'go with the
> global economy flow' (you'll read this sort of
> comment
> from the more smug posters at Slashdot.org).
>
> But what I'm thinking about is the loss of millions
> of
> high wage jobs that can buy houses and cars and all
> the other 'good life' artifacts that keep a good
> section of this economy spinning its wheels.
>
> If a good chunk of the manufacturing jobs are lost,
> followed by a good chunk of the white collar and
> technical positions, how can it not have a
> profoundly
> depressive effect upon the US economy as a whole?
>
> I don't want to sound like an alarmist but the trend
> seems clearly visible from where I sit.
>

> DRM

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"