[lbo-talk] Gallup on homosex

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jul 1 14:39:04 PDT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Christian Gregory wrote:
>
> >I may be missing something, but that 37% of surveyed people think
> >homosex should be outlawed seems appalling to me. What on earth
> >justifies this idea? I get fundamentalism, but that can't be more
> >than 15% of this number. What about the rest?
>
> Why just 15%? Around 40-45% of the U.S. pop calls itself evangelical
> or born-again. About 24% calls itself Catholic, and while their
> opinions run the full gamut, no doubt there are some hardcore
> moralists in their midst. And another 2% Mormon. Add it all up, and
> 34% isn't hard to reach.
>
> Doug

To me, the real story here is how quickly attitudes are changing about this in our society. When this question was asked just a few decades ago, the majority of adults considered homosexuality immoral! Given the historical trend and the attitudes of young adults today, I'm hopeful (or is it naive?).

Miles