[lbo-talk] IT, Other White Collar Jobs Floating To Cheaper Locales

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Jul 1 14:57:54 PDT 2003

Thomas Seay wrote:

> Cant agree with this based upon what I am seeing in
> Silicon Valley here. The trend is towards outsourcing
> and much of that outsourcing will end up in China and
> India. Software prototypes might be developed here but
> then the down and dirty coding will be done in
> Bangalore.

Is there a racist backlash from this? When I was working for a part of G.E. Capital a year or so ago, there was an underlying animus to the India-based tech support, collections, and insurance departments. Complaints about lost American jobs had become a distant second to kvetching about foreign accents. Of course, I worked in a service part of the company that couldn't be transplanted across the ocean.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!