[lbo-talk] Gallup on homosex

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 1 16:36:49 PDT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:33:11 -0400, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> THere are plenty of numbers in the Gallup release:
> <http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030627.asp>. You don't have to
> guess. Opinion was evenly divided at 43% in 1977; got worse (i.e., more
> homophobic) in the mid-1980s, but took a turn for the better in the mid-
> 1990s.
>
> Doug

Ah, I was just reversing the #ers ;-) to underscore how much popular opinion has been evolving. (Though, 'twould be interesting to see breakdown based on age, income, region, religion, race, gender, party registration)

And like whatever the literary device Marx used when polemicizing against, "The Philosophy Of Poverty, " by Proudhon (heh, almost typed Proudhomme, the chef! My Mom took a cooking class w/him. She showed me a photo of him eating in a New Orleans cafe, he's gotta be 700 pounds!) by writing, "The Poverty of Philosophy." http://www.nyupress.org/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=2455 intro by michael kimmel, red-diaper baby visiting prof. of mine one @ UCSC
http://www.semcoop.com/booklist/186094 http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/GAYLESBIANSTUDIES1414.HTM

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023109/0231096623.HTM Gay Politics, Urban Politics Identity and Economics in the Urban Setting
> ...Since the late 1960s the burgeoning gay rights movement has begun to
> have a profound effect on the politics of many American cities. More than
> 135 cities and counties have passed local ordinances that prohibit
> discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and openly gay city
> council members and other public officials have been elected in urban
> areas from Melbourne, Iowa, to Dallas, Texas...

Michael Pugliese

-- Michael Pugliese