[lbo-talk] Re: IT, Other White Collar Jobs Floating To Cheaper Locales

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Jul 1 19:37:39 PDT 2003

Thomas Seay Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:56:12 -0700 (PDT)

> My team at work is one part in Boston, one part in the Bay Area, one

> part in Japan, and one part in Scotland. Using email,

> videoconferencing, vpn and vnc technologies etc and using the same

> design specs there are few hurdles to jump.

Few_er_ hurdles, perhaps, but ...

> you could have system architects or whatever here in the Bay Area

> communicating to people in India.

... accent the subjunctive :-) While this might happen in future, this model for global division of labor does not seem to be currently widespread. Where IT globalization has succeeded, it seems to have been done by

* multiple teams, but one team per location

IMHO it's still rare to have intra-team dispersal, such that members

of a relatively tightly-focused group (e.g. all reporting to the

same firstline manager) are not colocated. It is much more common to

divide functionality geographically: e.g. one _team_ in Boston,

another in Japan, and another in Scotland. (I'll admit to a lack of

definitive data. OTOH I also work for a ... very globalized, very,

very large corp specializing in software development, and I know a

lot of other folks with similar experience.)

* cycle until skills exported

// This is the New American Model in pcode :-)

while (high-paying jobs remain) {

for (each functional area) {

while (foreign team skills < domestic team skills) {

import foreign contractors;

have more-skilled domestic workers train them;

return imports to country of origin;

}

}

}